Medical Representative Jobs, Roles and Work - MediZeal
Medical representatives are the key link between pharmaceutical or medical equipment companies and healthcare professionals. They are responsible for building a network with healthcare professionals to promote product awareness, answer queries regarding usage of products, provide advice and help introduce new products.
Job Desciption, Role and Responsibilities of Medical RepresentativesMedical representatives are usually assigned a geographical territory within which they work. Their primary responsibility is to establish and maintain contact with the Doctors, to create demand for an existing product or launch new product, ensure availability at retailers and stockist.
Expectations from a Medical RepresentativesMedical Representatives have to work hard from morning to midnight at different hospitals, clinics, doctor’s chambers, pharmacies etc. They have to meet with different types of people doctors, nurses, pharmacy owners, clinic’s managers and even sometimes with general people. They have to achieve their target by generating prescriptions. They need to earn knowledge regarding the human body and microbiology. They need to be master in product knowledge, selling skills, communication skills, problem-solving skills, and time management to become a good Medical Representative. Key responsibilities include:
- Customer Support and Customer Service: organising appointments and meetings with community- and hospital-based healthcare staff
- Sales Achievement: identifying and establishing new business
- negotiating contracts
- Launching new products in the market: Demonstrating or presenting products to healthcare staff including doctors, nurses and pharmacists
- Market Feedback about the product: undertaking relevant research
- Company Representation: meeting both the business and scientific needs of healthcare professionals
- maintaining detailed records about sales, demand and availability
- Showcase: attending and organising trade exhibitions, conferences and meetings
- At a senior level, managing budgets
- reviewing sales performance
- Record Keeping and Reporting: writing reports and other documents
- Pharma Product Promotion: Promotional prospects are excellent – progression can be into senior sales/managerial roles or into related employment areas such as marketing or purchasing.
DAILY ACTIVITIES OF MEDICAL REPRESENTATIVE / MEDICAL REPRESENTATIVE DAY
EMBROXIA-DX Syrup is used to treat cough, runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, itching, and watery eyes caused by allergies, the common cold, or the flu.
Medical representatives are the key link between pharmaceutical or medical equipment companies and healthcare professionals. A typical day may involve one-on-one meetings with doctors, pharmacists or nurses in their offices or places of business to monitor their supply of drugs and to inform them of forthcoming changes. They are responsible for building a network with healthcare professionals to promote product awareness, answer queries regarding usage of products, provide advice and help introduce new products.
HOW TO BECOME A MEDICAL REPRESENTATIVE
Globally medical companies use assessments to evaluate candidate's aptitude, personality and basic domain knowledge at the time of hiring. Studies done in a large pharmaceutical company shows that high performing Medical Representatives scored high in English, Logical Ability and personality trait of Conscientiousness, followed by moderate score on Agreeableness. Being a niche and knowledge-driven sector, medical companies generally prefer graduates with relevant qualifications in life sciences, pharmacy, medicine, nursing or dentistry to be able to understand the products well. A very important quality that medical companies seek in candidates is strong ethics, as it is vital to keep data and sensitive information secured. Some of the other competencies that employers look for while hiring medical representatives are:
- Study Higher Secondary with biology and mathematics from any recognized institutions and secure good marks in the examination.
- Find the colleges or universities which offer pharmacy biosciences, or healthcare and pursue the bachelors’ degree.
- Acquire some experience in the medical industry to get an exposure. This will help them to get more chances while looking for the medical representative jobs.
- Improve skills by attending some seminars or classes in the related medicine subjects. Some companies offer specific training according to the candidates’ level of experience in the field.
- Get the certifications that expose your potential and skills in the same field.
- Search for the jobs in the companies that recruit medical representative (MR) and apply for it.
Employers may also look to hire applicants with a background in sales and the capacity to learn about scientific and medical details. If you want to go down this route straight after school, an A level or Scottish Higher in science might be advantageous in demonstrating your scientific ability.
Competencies and Skills Required
- Commercial awareness
- Sales skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Organisational skills
Medical Representative Career
We hope, you have understood the role of medical representative in the pharmaceutical industry. MR is a good job provided you have lots of patience, perseverance and a people friendly attitude. Your working hours could be late, getting appointment of Doctors could be difficult and pushing a product quite difficult. But with above qualities, you can achieve the targets. Fixed Salary structure may not be very high but for performers, incentives are very attractive and you can save some money out of TA/DA also. Superiors will be very pushy and keep on increasing the targets as you start delivering. If you keep delivering, Senior management keep up the promises they make to MRs. The experience gained by a MR will be very useful in planning out your career. If you are looking for a job in the pharmaceutical industry then do check our career page.
Medical Representative Interview Question
- What profit the company could expect in case if it hires you?
- Explain what is your pre-call planning to a Doctor?
- What is role of medical representative?
- Why do you want to join this company?
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why do you want to work as medical sale representative after doing MBA?
- Explain what is the role of a Product Manager?
- Explain as a medical representative what is your selling style to the physician?
- How can you help increase sales?
- How would you reach a physician who does not see a representative?
- Explain what do you find most re-warding about being a med representative?
Also Read :